December 2017 Road Trip - Part V - South Carolina Church Ruins
St. Helena Parish Chapel of Ease Ruins
St Helena Island, South Carolina
The Anglican chapel was constructed in 1740 by planters on Saint Helena Island as a chapel of ease or parishioners who had difficulty traveling to worship at the main parish church in Beaufort, South Carolina. The ruins were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. - Wikipedia
Old Sheldon Church Ruins
Beaufort, South Carolina
Known also as the Sheldon Church or Old Sheldon Church, the building was originally known as Prince William's Parish Church. The church was built as a chapel of ease in the English Georgian style, using the Roman Tuscan or Doric order, between 1745 and 1753.
The traditional understanding is that Prince William's was burned by the British in 1779 during the Revolutionary War, rebuilt in 1826, and then burned again in 1865 during the Civil War. - Wikipedia